Wednesday 17 October 2012

Digipak Inside Panels

For the inside panels of my digipak I have decided on a few key elements I want to include in order to create the right appearance and theme, these are:

  • Photos of the artist, in black and white to create a vintage appearance
  • Song lyrics
  • Images of props to reflect the retro, 1950's theme 
  • Strong fonts, that also reflect the 1950's
I believe these 4 elements are really important for creating the inside panels for my digipak and in turn, achieving the right appearance for the whole album. I have made 3 inside panels for my first draft. All 3 of these panels include black and white photographs of the artist and the lyrics printed over the top in the font 'channel' which I also used on the front cover.

First Draft Inside Panels:


Here are two of my first draft digipak inserts and the two options for the third insert. For the first one I have used the 'Channel' font to put lyrics on my insert. I have placed the lyrics on the two sides of the insert to frame the photograph behind. This photograph is of Marina and the Diamonds, I got this photo off google and edited it in photoshop to create a more defined image in black and white. I really like the clarity and definition of the photograph here, it's really good quality and works really well in black and white. This is the sort of photograph I want to achieve myself if I use photographs in my final digipak.


In the second insert I have also used the same 'channel' font for lyrics. Again the lyrics frame the main image in the background. This is another photograph I have taken from google of Marina and the Diamonds. For this photograph, I also used photoshop to edit the photo and make it black and white. This photograph doesn't work as well as the previous image as the lighting is not good enough to work well in black and white and there wasn't enough contrast within the picture. This is something I will change with my own photographs as I want a more striking appearance within my photos.



For my third insert I have created two versions. For both, similarly to the previous two, i have added in lyrics and placed them so that they frame the image. However, i had a lot of lyrics to fit onto this insert and I feel it has become too cluttered. To try and resolve this i experimented with font. In the first version I used the same 'channel' font to tie in with the others however I felt this looked too busy and unreadable. For the second version I used the 'Scarlet Ribbons' font which left more space on the page and has a clearer appearance. However, I still feel this doesn't look quite right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment