Monday 8 October 2012

Digipak Reaseach: Cover Ideas

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

This is the album cover of Vampire Weekend's self named album. I like the simplicity of this cover and the basic sepia colour scheme; these factors give the album a statement cover with a unique and retro/vintage feel. I think this style, and simple layout would work well with the artists style and album theme.
The colour scheme and vintage feel would also match the retro/vintage 1950's style of the video and artist within the video, therefore clearly showing the style of the artist and music.Here I have created a mock up of a cover idea, copying the Vampire Weekend album for our my artist 'Lexi and the Spectrum'. I have used the same colour scheme and basic layout with the artist name and album name in block capitals and the centre of the cover. The image I have used for this mock-up was one I found on the internet. 
I have also created my own version which takes the idea of a photo of a basic object; in this case a 1950's phone, which relates to a prop used within our music video as well as the era we have based our video on and the era from which the artist is inspired. The picture used for this was also one I found on the internet, but also one that could be easily re-created. I like the brighter appearance of this cover idea and the fact there is more relevance to the object.




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon

I also like the simplicity of this album cover for Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'. This album was one of the influences of our artist from the 1950's. I therefore think a reference to this album/artist would be relevant and representational of the artist influences . I also like the idea of the 'spectrum' as this ties in with the name of my artist; therefore I could take this element and incorporate it into my cover and digipak designs.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

I really like the ideas used within all eight of the varied Arcade Fire cover artwork for 'The Suburbs' album. The theme of vintage effect, film photographs with a gain effect works really well and gives the album a unique look that reflects the music of the artist. This also matches the vintage feel within out music video and would therefore work for my artist 'Lexi and the Spectrum'.
I have created a mock-up cover taking inspiration from both of these Arcade Fire covers. I took the idea of a car and found an image on the internet of a 1950's mercedes benz. As I really like the simplicity of the black and white 'The Suburbs' album cover, I used a black and white image of the car. I also used the idea of plain white text over the top of the image from the second Arcade Fire cover, however I added in shadowing on the text to reflect the album title 'Ghosts'. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Katy Perry - Teenage Dream and One of the Boys



I really like the style of Katy Perry's album covers, I think they have a really fun and pop feel that reflect both the music and the artist herself. This is the kind of feel I want my digipak and advert to have. I want to achieve this by combining the bright colours and fun feel with retro and vintage elements, such as props, costume or colours. I intend to use the idea of a 'logo' for the artist's name. Here, I have created a basic mock-up of the kind of logo I intend to make for my artist, this one was created using a font I found that is very similar to the one used here in Katy Perry's logo. I like the colourful and fun appearance that this logo has, however I think it could better fit the 1950's retro and vintage theme with some alterations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart, The Family Jewels and Singles

Marina and the Diamonds' albums all have a really unique look. They have a theme of using one main image of the artist herself and an interesting and unique text. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment